Here are some common misconceptions about the gospel today. If Jesus Christ will ask you what the gospel is, what will your reply will be?
- The gospel is NOT about going to heaven– that’s half the story. The gospel is getting God Himself and making much of Him.
- The gospel is NOT about good works– good works salvation nullifies the saving grace of God and gives man warrant to boast there achievement to the face of His Creator. If salvation by works is true, then how much work does it need for you to be saved?
- The gospel is NOT about religion– I hear a lot of people taking about religion as if their religion suffered and died on the cross. Religion was mention a few times in the Bible sometimes in a negative light and has nothing to do about salvation. For those people I direct you to Psalms 22 and 53.
- The gospel is NOT about prosperity– many popular preachers today preach that if you accept Jesus you will be wealthy and healthy. That’s good but it’s unbiblical. Also you’ll end up blaming God for not having what you want.
- The gospel is NOT having good character– humility, selflessness, altruism are by means good traits. Man should have these characteristics. But that is not the gospel and it won’t even guarantee you everlasting life.
- The gospel is NOT about you– the gospel is all about Christ. It’s about God’s mercy and grace. You don’t have any part from election to glorification.
So what is the gospel? The gospel is about Jesus Christ and his finished work in the cross. You can’t add or lessen it. All you have to do is accept it as a gift. Looking at yourself by God’s standard (The 10 Commandments) you find that you can’t measure up. God is holy and just. And you’re not. God call it sin. It’s our rebellion against Him. Every sin we committed (will commit) deserves eternal separation. That’s why there is hell. But God is so rich in mercy he made a way for us to be saved. He sends Jesus Christ to die on our behalf that we might stand blameless before God. We don’t deserve mercy. God won’t accept you unless you repent and believe the gospel. Cry for His mercy today. You won’t be guaranteed another day.
(Originally from my Facebook Notes, 1 September 2011)